READ YOUR HEART OUT in Downtown LA! Grand Park is the place to see, hear and read from the largest coalition of Los Angeles-based authors and publishers in a day for book lovers both big and small.
FOR ALL BOOK LOVERS:
- Add a line of your genius to The World’s Longest Story by 826LA or draw in characters in a monster massive comic book by RYMAN ARTS.
- Receive your very own poem-on-demand by POESIA PARA LA GENTE*
- You think YOU love books? Meet and greet librarians from the LOS ANGELES PUBLIC LIBRARY.
- Remember typewriters? Roll up your sleeves and let your fingers to the talking with PUBLISH! POETICS
- Shop the local pop-up bookshop curated by WRIT LARGE PRESS and discover books, zines and literary gems written by LAs finest (**see complete listing below).
- Visit with MUSIC CENTER ON TOUR artist Judith Helton as she brings literary blasts from the past to life by portraying Laura Ingalls Wilder and Beatrix Potter.
- Grab some goodies from THE LIBRARY STORE on wheels.
- Be “zine” and heard by making your own! L.A. ZINE FEST shows you how.
- Try a lucky spin at COUNTY OF LOS ANGELES PUBLIC LIBRARY‘s Wheel of Reading, giving out prizes throughout the day!
- Don’t forget to bring your books for Grand Park’s wee library system – the LITTLE LIBRARIES. Find’em, fill’em, love’em!
- …and more!
NOON: BIRDIE’S PLAYHOUSE, music with a Latin twist that gets kids to shake their tail feathers!
1PM: STORY PIRATES, a one-of-a-kind sketch comedy musical based entirely on stories by children, including those written by Grand Park kids.
2-3PM YOUNG ADULT LIT READINGS: Cecil Castellucci / Lissa Price / Sherri L. Smith / Sonya Sone
3-3:30PM READ/BEATS: Steve Abee / Gia Scott-Heron / Billy Burgos / Jessica Ceballos
Jazz trio featuring / Emile Poree (guitar) / Aaron McLendon (drums) / Isaias Elpes (bass)
3:30-4PM UNION STATION 75th ANNIVERSARY readings: “A Station Made of Paper” by David Kipen / “Union Station Today: Making Cultural Connections” by Alissa Walker / “Union Station: Time and Again” by D.J. Waldie / “Train of Thought” by Marisela Norte
4-5PM PULP WRITERS OF COLOR “Lament in the Night:” Naomi Hirahara / Desiree Zamarano / Rachel Howzell Hall / Steph Cha / Gary Phillips / Ruben Rodriguez
*POESIA PARA LA GENTE INCLUDE: Vickie Vertiz, Kenji Liu, Jessica Wilson Cardenas, Juan Cardenas, Yago S. Cura, Brandon Brown, Peggy Dobreer, Iris De Anda, Wendy C. Ortiz, Billy Burgos, Khadija Anderson, Dane Baylis, Amanda Yates Garcia, Gloria Enedina Alvarez, Victor Avila, Bill Friday, Nikita Egar, Rebecca Gonzales, Corrie Greathouse, Xitlalic Guijosa-Osuna, June Kim, Mia Kim, Karineh Mahdessian, Crystal “Little Bird” Salas, Fernando Salinas, Elena Secota, Matt Sedillo, Kelly Grace Thomas, Daniel Austin Warren, Conney Williams, Steve Abee, Jessica Ceballos
LOCAL POP UP BOOKSHOP TO FEATURE: Les Figues Press, What Books, Kaya Press, Writ Large Press, Gatsby Books, Seite Books, Razorcake/Gorsky Books, Zero+ Publishing, Bank Heavy Press, Red Hen Press, RE)VERB, ANTENNA, DUM DUM Zine, ZOCHI, Tía Chucha Press, Siglio Press, Rare Bird Lit, Bombshelter Press, The Rattling Wall, Spout Hill Press, Orange Monkey, Boss Fight Books, Electric Travel Books, RCC MUSE, Seismicity Books, ICI Press, Giant Robot
METRO RED or PURPLE LINE TO CIVIC CENTER/GRAND PARK STATION, GOLD LINE TO LITTLE TOKYO/ARTS DISTRICT STATION.
GO METRO and receive a Destination Discount. Show your TAP Card, Metro or County Employee ID to the Grand Park info booth crew at DOWNTOWN BOOKFEST and receive 10% book purchases at the Writ Large pop up shop or The Library Store on Wheels. See more Destination Deals on metro.net. Plan your best route using the Trip Planner.
HEART YOUR PARK Macy’s and the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) invite you to support Grand Park! You can show Grand Park some love today by donating $1 or more at the register in-store at the Macy’s Downtown Broadway Plaza, located at 750 W 7th Street; and they will match your donation, dollar for dollar, up to $250,000 in total!
Learn more about the Heart Your Park Program here.